Click Me!

Thursday, October 27, 2011

Book Review; Freakonomics

Title: Freakonomics
Writers: Steven D. Levitt & Stephen J. Dubner
Total Pages: 315 (including bonus and index)
Prices: I don't know
Duration of reading: Approximately 1 week
Rating: 4.5 stars



I found out that I am quite slow to finish this book as it happened that in the very same week I need to deal with some other personal matters. This copy of Freakonomics is borrowed from my friend, Darick Lim, in which he bought this book while he was studying in Texas. 

This book is for real would make you as a mechanical page-turner. As it claims that it is from the perspective of 'a rogue economist explores the hidden side of everything', freakonomics successfully makes me dazzle of every detail that is written by the writers. Generally, each chapter would talk about different issues, ranging from the similarities of schoolteachers and sumo wrestler, to the choice of babies names that reflects the parents. It is amazing on how the book is well written and chronologically explains the issues. This book is not only meant for business but it is meant for everyone and it is a must read book. 

Besides that, I am intrigued by some of the issues especially how Levitt explained on the decreased number of crimes that is due to legalized abortion. As Dubner claims in the bonus chapter, Levitt's paper that links 'abortion to a drop in crime has made more noise than the rest combined'. In my opinion, in dealing with 'the noise' there are several things that we need to consider before we agree with Levitt. First is about theological issues which I believe that most religions would go against abortion if the pregnancy is not hamrful for both baby and the mother. Second, we need to deal of ethics and morale issues. 

The only reason that I don;t give this book a 5 stars is because I found that the book is a bit confusing in Chapter 2; "How is the Ku Klux Klan like a group of real-estate agents?". It probably due to my knowledge background that I don't know what is Ku Klux Klan and as I am not living in the U.S.A, I am nit aware what are the impacts of Ku Klux Klan. However, this is easily solved as I am always well-equipt with Mr Google.

I would absolutely recommend my readers to read this book. As for me, I would probably purchase a copy of Freakonomics for my own book collection and definitely would purchase their second book entitled 'Super Freakonomics'. Happy reading everyone!

No comments: